International Friendship Day :
Friendship Day (also International Friendship Day or Friend’s Day) is a day in several countries for celebrating friendship. It was initially promoted by the greeting cards’ industry; evidence from social networking sites shows a revival of interest in the holiday that may have grown with the spread of the Internet, particularly in India, Bangladesh, and Malaysia.
Mobile phones, digital communication and social media have contributed to popularize the custom. Those who promote the holiday in South Asia attribute the tradition of dedicating a day in honour of friends to have originated in the United States in 1935, but India celebrates Friendship Day on the first Sunday of August. In Nepal, Friendship Day is celebrated on 30 July each year. In Oberlin, Ohio, Friendship Day is celebrated on 9 April each year.
Friendship day was first proposed in Paraguay in 1958. It was originated by Joyce Hall, the founder of Hallmark cards in 1930, intended to be 2 August and a day when people celebrated their friendships by holiday celebrations.Friendship Day was promoted by the greeting card National Association during the 1920s but met with consumer resistance – given that it was too obviously a commercial gimmick to promote greetings cards. In the 1940s the number of Friendship Day cards available in the U.S. by had dwindled and the holiday largely died out there. There is no evidence to date for its uptake in Europe; however, it has been kept alive and revitalised in Asia, where several countries have adopted it.
In honor of Friendship Day in 1998, Nane Annan, wife of UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan, named Winnie the Pooh as the world’s Ambassador of Friendship at the United Nations. The event was co-sponsored by the U.N. Department of Public Information and Disney Enterprises, and was co-hosted by Kathy Lee Gifford.
The idea of a World Friendship Day was first proposed on 20 July 1958 by Dr. Ramon Artemio Bracho during a dinner with friends in Puerto Pinasco, a town on the River Paraguay about 200 miles north of Asuncion, Paraguay.
Friendship Day Quotes
1. True friends are like stars; you can only recognize them when it’s dark around you. ~ Bob Marley
2. Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: ‘What! You too? I thought that no one but myself. – C.S. Lewis
3. Best friends are the people in life that make you laugh a little louder, smile a little brighter and live a little better.- Happy Friendship Day 2021
4. “A true friend is one who takes your hand and touches your heart.” – Happy Friendship Day
5. Best friends have conversations impossible to understand by others people. – Happy Friendship Day 2021
6. In the garden of Friendship you are the most beautiful flower.
Friend I cherish the bond, we share.
A true friend like you makes life worthwhile.
7. Friendship that flows from the heart cannot be frozen by adversity, as the water that flows from the spring cannot congeal in winter. – James Fennimore Cooper
8. A man’s friendships are one of the best measures of his worth. ~ Charles Darwin
9. Real friends understand when you say you can’t, forgive when you say “sorry”, feel happy when you say you miss them, smile when you say you care for them, but die when you say forget me. Happy Friendship Day
10. “You know all about me, you know all about us. So, my dear, you are very special to me.” — Happy Friendship Day 2021.
11. “My best friend is the one who brings out the best in me.” — Henry Ford
12. Friendship is the only cement that will ever hold the world together. – Woodrow Wilson
13. All love that has not friendship for its base, is like a mansion built upon the sand. – Ella Wheeler Wilcox
14. Friendship increases by visiting friends but visiting seldom. ~Ben Franklin
15. “When hours feel like moments you know you are with good friends.” — Emily Beckett
Friendship Day Quotes Images