New Covid Restrictions Melbourne
Schools will reopen and Melburnians will be free to travel up to 25 kilometres from home for any reason, but house visits will be prohibited from 11.59pm on Thursday.
After Victoria registered one new local incidence of coronavirus in the 24 hours leading up to midnight, Acting Premier James Merlino confirmed the relaxed restrictions will go through. The new infection is linked to the current outbreak, and the infected person has been quarantined.
Schools will resume for on-site learning in all grade levels on Friday, according to Mr. Merlino.
Melburnians will be able to leave their homes for any reason, but they must stay within a 25-kilometer radius. They have the ability to go further for work, education, caregiving, or vaccinations. Those who are able to work from home are encouraged to do so.
Outside, masks will not be necessary, but they will be necessary inside, even in businesses where QR code check-ins will be necessary.
“From 11:59 p.m. tomorrow night, metropolitan Melbourne will revert to the majority of the settings in place in rural Victoria, and regional Victoria will ease even more,” Mr Merlino said.
“We’re still not able to have visitors in our home, but outdoor events will be limited to a maximum of ten people.”
Weddings will be permitted once more, but only for a maximum of 10 guests, including the couple. Funerals and religious services with up to 50 individuals in attendance are possible.
It will be permissible to hold outdoor meetings of up to ten individuals. The whole list of new restrictions can be found here.
Mr Merlino stated that Melbourne would no longer fulfil the definition of a Commonwealth hotspot, putting coronavirus support payments in jeopardy for those still in need.
“We recognise that difficulty does not end at 11.59 p.m. tomorrow [Thursday] night, which is why we’ve announced an additional $8.36 million in business assistance,” Mr Merlino added.
Individuals in regional Victoria will be allowed to have two people in their houses each day, and outside public gatherings of up to 20 people will be permitted.
Restaurants and cafes can seat a maximum of 150 people for seated service, with up to 75 allowed indoors, and religious events have the same limits.
In remote Victoria, community sport is returning for all ages to train and compete.
In Melbourne, hospitality facilities with a capacity of up to 100 people can reopen for seated service with a maximum of 50 persons inside.
Hair and beauty establishments will be able to undertake treatments if masks may be worn, and retail will reopen with density limits of one person per four square metres.
Because gyms are high-risk places, Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton says they will remain closed, but he is hopeful that next week will bring additional easings.
“Through the second wave and Victoria, we’ve had large breakouts in gyms,” he said.
“The mix of indoor settings, closed environs, and individuals exercising has a lot of potential for spreading.”
He predicted the gyms would not be closed for long.
He stated, “I’m asking gyms to make that sacrifice for another week so we can examine the epidemiology.”
“At this time, the public health team believes that closure is the best course of action.”
The number of Victorian coronavirus exposure sites has reduced to 162 from around 200 on Tuesday evening and over 370 late last week.
On Wednesday afternoon, two additional tier-2 sites were added: a pool in Maribyrnong and a deli in South Melbourne.
It is recommended that people who visited the Maribyrnong Aquatic Centre between 6pm and 8.30pm on May 26 or The Old Paper Shop Deli in South Melbourne between 10.50am and 11.15am on June 5 isolation until they test negative for COVID-19. On Tuesday, only one new exposure site was added.
Meanwhile, Queensland Health Minister Yvette D’Ath announced on Wednesday afternoon that a 44-year-old Victorian woman had tested positive with COVID-19 after visiting the state in early June.
The woman drove to Caloundra on the Sunshine Coast with her companion, who has now tested negative for the virus, and visited Toowoomba and Goondiwindi, among other places.
“This lady travelled with her partner leaving Melbourne on June 1 and arriving in Queensland on June 5, and she journeyed up through NSW and crossed the border at Goondiwindi,” said Queensland Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young.
“She could have been contagious when passing through NSW,” she speculated.
Professor Sutton said investigations into how the Delta outbreak escaped hotel quarantine were still ongoing after it was revealed that the manager and infection-control boss of the Novotel Ibis in Little Lonsdale Street were fired in late April after more than 51 breaches, including 15 infection-control violations, were discovered. The outbreak was started when a returned visitor from Sri Lanka arrived at the hotel on May 8.
On Tuesday, health officials revealed that a hotel leak was one of the most likely ideas being investigated to explain how the virus spread from the first link in a chain of Delta variant illnesses.