telstra.com Activate : Activate your Telstra Pre-Paid or Post-Paid Service
Activating your Pre-Paid or post-paid service can be done in a few simple steps. We’ll ask you a quick question when you start to make sure you’re on the right track.
Before you start, you’ll need your pre-paid SIM serial number found on the back of the packaging, and a valid form of ID.
When you activate, you can choose to transfer your current number from another provider or get a new Telstra number. If you want to transfer your current number to Telstra, keep your existing SIM (from your current provider) in your phone until your service is disconnected.
Once you’ve activated your SIM card, your pre-paid service should be up and running within 4 hours, but it can take longer. If you’re transferring your mobile number, we can only do this within our operating hours.
Activate your pre-paid service
Activate your pre-paid service online in a few simple steps:-
- Go to prepaid.activate.telstra.com.au.
- Enter your SIM serial number (on the back of your SIM kit).
- Choose to transfer your number from your current provider, or get a new Telstra number
- Choose whether you’d like to activate your SIM for a mobile or for another data-only device
- Fill out your ID details
- Enter your contact details
- Select a plan and recharge
- Confirm your details and click Activate.
When your Telstra service is activated, your service with your previous provider will stop working. We’ll also send you an email or text to let you know your Telstra service has been activated.
To check if your service is activated, insert it into your device. Turn the device off and back on again. If you see ‘Telstra’ next to the coverage bars, your new service is active. You can restart your device regularly to check if your service is active.
Your Telstra ID lets you access your Telstra services online.
To create a Telstra ID, you’ll need one of the following:
Telstra mobile number
Telstra landline phone number
Telstra account number
If you are new to Telstra, you’ll need to wait until your service is active.
Please visit https://myid.telstra.com/ to get the Telstra ID.
How do I install and use the My Telstra app?
The My Telstra app will work on any Android or Apple phone if it meets the following OS requirements:
- Android 5.1 or later
- Apple iOS 11 or later
Unfortunately, Windows and Blackberry phones are not compatible with the My Telstra app, but you may choose to stay on the Telstra 24×7 app for the time being.
Before you start the download, make sure you have enough space on your device to install the app.
- iOS devices require between 100-110MB (depending on the Apple device you’re using)
- Android devices require 46.7MB
To download the My Telstra app, open the App Store (for Apple users) or the Play Store (for Android users):
- Search for My Telstra and select to install
- When the End User Terms appear, select Accept to start download
Good to know: a small amount of data will be used, so we recommend you download the app via your Wi-Fi connection to avoid excess data charges on your mobile
- Once it’s finished installing, select Open, or find the My Telstra icon on your screen to launch the app
Once you’ve updated to the My Telstra app, you won’t be able to use the Telstra 24×7 app.