Black Fungal Disease Symptoms : COVID-19-associated mucormycosis, commonly referred to as black fungus, is the association of mucormycosis (an aggressive fungal infection) with COVID-19. It has been reported around the nose, eyes and brain – a clinical manifestation sometimes referred to as ‘rhino-orbital-cerebral (ROC) mucormycosis’.
The condition does not spread person to person and is not contagious. Reports of COVID-associated mucormycosis have generally been rare.
Black Fungal Disease Symptoms : Live Updates
A review of the medical literature traced eight cases reported around the world by 9 January 2021. In these reports, the most common risk factor for mucormycosis was diabetes. Most cases presented during hospitalization (often 10–14 days after admission), and all but one of the affected people died. Early aggressive treatment is considered essential. (It has been estimated that between 40% and 80% of people who contract any form of mucormycosis die from the disease, depending on the site of infection and underlying health conditions.
Majority of cases are reported in India for Covid-19-associated mucormycosis documented around the world. The solution of all worldly problems including the toxic illness lies in Sat-Bhakti Sadhana as trained by Sant Rampal Ji Maharaj.
Black Fungus Or Mucormycosis: Key Highlights
• India is battling against the second wave of Covid-19 cases, but fungal infection in coronavirus patients is giving a double setback.
• ICMR and AIIMS have issued fresh guidelines for the identification of high-risk COVID-19 patients for the likelihood of the Black Fungus disease
• The guidelines give a call for strict control of blood sugar and warn against self-medication with steroids, antifungal drugs and antibiotics
• The core reason of mucormycosis or black fungus is the unhygienic way of delivering oxygen and indiscriminate use of steroids in COVID-19 treatment
• Mucormycosis fungi are discovered in soil and on rotting organic material and have potential to infect humans under favorable condition
• A report suggests 94% Covid-19-associated mucormycosis patients had diabetes out of which 67% were poorly treated
Mucormycosis (Black Fungus) – Symptoms
Mucormycosis is a fungal infection that mainly affects people who are on medication for other health problems that reduces their ability to fight environmental pathogens. Sinuses or lungs of such individuals get affected after fungal spores are inhaled from the air.
This can lead to serious disease with warning sign and symptoms as follows:
• Pain and redness around eyes and/or nose
• Shortness of breath
• Bloody vomits
• Altered mental status
How to Manage?
• Control diabetes and diabetic ketoacidosis
• Reduce steroids (if patient is still on) with aim to discontinue rapidly
• Discontinue immunomodulating drugs
• No antifungal prophylaxis needed
• Extensive Surgical Debridement – to remove all necrotic materials
• Medical treatment
• Install peripherally inserted central catheter (PICC line)
• Maintain adequate systemic hydration
• Infuse Normal saline IV before Amphotericin B infusion
• Antifungal Therapy, for at least 4-6 weeks (see the guidelines below )
• Monitor patients clinically and with radio-imaging for response and to detect disease progression
• Consult an ENT doctor or ophthalmologist for their treatment immediately,
• Do not self-medicate with steroids, antibiotics or antifungal drugs.
• Apprise the doctor about your medical conditions.
• Tell blood sugar levels history, and any immunosuppressive treatments, etc.
• Strict control and monitor blood sugar.
• No self-medication with steroids, antibiotics, anti-fungal.
• If the doctor advises, get an MRI CT scan with contrast – paranasal sinuses and orbit,
Note: Remain vigilant even weeks after recovering from COVID-19 because the Mucor infection may occur during COVID-19 infection, even after a few weeks of apparent recovery from it.
Pricing Of The Drug
The drug Liposomal Amphotericin B under brand name Amphonex of BSV has MRP of Rs 6,890 per vial is not now in stock. Lambin 50 Inj (Liposomal Amphotericin B with Sun Pharma’s) price is about Rs 4,739.30 per vial.