There are 3 ways to activate your debit card.
- You can activate it online, or from your Wells Fargo Mobile® app.
- Call 1-877-294-6933 from your home or mobile phone.
- You can activate the card by using it with your PIN at any Wells Fargo ATM. (If you don’t already have a PIN, it will be mailed to you separately from your card.)
Use your debit card as a safer, convenient way to access your money.
- Make purchases and pay bills at participating retailers and service providers ― including online or by phone.
- Use your card to get cash, make deposits, and more at 13,000 Wells Fargo ATMs.
Frequently asked questions
Is it important to activate my debit card?
Yes, activating your debit card as soon as you receive it in the mail is a necessary step for you to use your card, and an important step to help protect yourself from fraud.
How do I turn my debit card on or off?
If you have misplaced your card and need time to find it, you can temporarily turn your card off to help prevent unauthorized card transactions. When you find it, you can easily turn your card back on.1 Sign on to Wells Fargo Online® or log into your Wells Fargo Mobile app to access Turn Card On or Off. You can also call us at 1-800-TO-WELLS (1-800-869-3557) for personal debit or prepaid cards.
If you think your card has been lost or stolen, you can order a replacement card online, from your Wells Fargo Mobile app, or by calling us. For personal cards call 1-800-869-3557.
How does Wells Fargo help protect my debit card?
Your Wells Fargo Debit Card comes with Zero Liability protection2 at no extra cost. This means you won’t be responsible for any promptly reported unauthorized card transactions.
We also help prevent unauthorized transactions by regularly reviewing your accounts, and we’ll notify you immediately if we suspect unusual activity. If your financial information is ever compromised or stolen, we provide the information and assistance necessary to help you get your account back on track.
How can I better protect myself and my debit card?
There are several things that you can do to help protect yourself when using your debit card.
- Be cautious. When you use your debit card at any sales counter or ATM, be aware when people are near or behind you. To keep others from seeing your PIN, you can use your hand or body to shield their view of the keypad.
- Sign up for alerts.3 Our debit card alerts help you stay informed about unusual activity on your debit card. You can set up alerts to notify you when your card:
- Is used for an online, phone, or mail order purchase
- Is used in an international location
- Exceeds the purchase amount that you set
- Exceeds the daily ATM withdrawal amount that you set
- Monitor your account regularly. With Wells Fargo Online you can securely access your accounts and keep track of your transactions and balances at any time. You can do this via your computer, tablet, or mobile device.
- Learn more about protecting your identity and funds. Start by reviewing these helpful Fraud Prevention Tips.
If you suspect any fraudulent activity on your debit card, call us immediately at 1-800-TO-WELLS (1-800-869-3557).
What should I do if I haven’t received my debit card or my PIN?
Please call us immediately at 1-800-TO-WELLS (1-800-869-3557) if you haven’t received your debit card.
If you do not already have a PIN, you will receive it separately from your card. If you receive your card but you do not receive your PIN, please visit your nearest Wells Fargo branch.