Simplyhealthcareplans.com/Medicaid Activate Card: Apply for Medicaid benefits
1. Apply for Medicaid benefits
To enroll in Simply, you must get Medicaid benefits. If you don’t have Medicaid yet, you can apply online at www.myflorida.com/accessflorida.
2. Choose Simply as your health plan
Once you are approved for Medicaid, you can choose a managed care plan to join. If you don’t choose, you will be assigned to a plan. You can change your plan within the first 120 days of enrollment.
There are two easy ways to enroll with us:-
- Online: go to the Florida Statewide Medicaid Managed Care website at www.flmedicaidmanagedcare.com
- By phone: call the Choice Counseling Helpline toll-free at 1-877-711-3662 (TTY 711) Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Friday from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. An enrollment broker can answer any questions you have.
Unborn Activation Process
Cards initially issued to unborn babies contain the mother’s name with “Babyof” (e.g., BabyAofJane Smith) and providers are able to use the card with its card control number to obtain the baby’s Medicaid ID number. The Medicaid number will not be active until after the baby is born, however. Once born, providers can activate the Medicaid coverage by following the instructions listed below:
- Using the card control number, look up the baby’s eligibility record using the Web portal, MEVS, FaxBack, or AVRS (for further information on verifying eligibility, please see the Florida Medicaid Provider General Handbook, Chapter 3).
- If the message tells you that the baby is eligible, no further action is required. Be sure to write down the baby’s Medicaid identification number for billing purposes.
- NOTE: If the baby’s ID is active but Medicaid eligibility is not on file for the dates of service or certain demographic information appears incorrect such as date of birth, the Unborn Activation process can NOT be used to make these corrections. Further updates/corrections must be coordinated with DCF.
- If the baby’s number is inactive, continue following these steps to activate the newborn’s Medicaid identification number.
- Verify the mother was eligible for full Medicaid on the baby’s date of birth by using the Web Portal, MEVS, FaxBack, or AVRS. The Medicaid fiscal agent will not activate the baby’s coverage if the mother is not eligible or her eligibility category is MU (Presumptively Eligible Pregnant Woman) or her eligibility category is FP (Family Planning Services Only).
- Providers and Medicaid managed care plans should submit a newborn activation request through the Newborn Activation feature in the Florida Medicaid Secure Web Portal and Florida Health Plan Portal. Additional instructions and a quick reference guide can be found on the Florida Medicaid Web Portal.
Within two working days after after a completed submission through the portal, the Medicaid fiscal agent will update the newborn’s name, gender, and birth date and activate the coverage. Once the newborn’s name is updated on file, a new Medicaid gold card is issued with the updated name.
If the mother is in a Medicaid managed care plan, the baby will be retroactively enrolled in the same managed care plan as the mother for the first three months of life unless the mother voluntarily enrolls the baby in a different managed care plan.