Pell Grant Eligibility Calculator| Loan Forgiveness, Calculator, Income 2022, International Students

Pell Grant Eligibility | Loan Forgiveness, Calculator, Income 2022, International Students

Federal Pell Grants usually are awarded only to undergraduate students who display exceptional financial need and have not earned a bachelor’s, graduate, or professional degree. (In some cases, however, a student enrolled in a postbaccalaureate teacher certification program might receive a Federal Pell Grant.) You are not eligible to receive a Federal Pell Grant if you are incarcerated in a federal or state penal institution or are subject to an involuntary civil commitment upon completion of a period of incarceration for a forcible or nonforcible sexual offense.

A Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid, except under certain circumstances.

How do I apply?

You should start by submitting a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) form. Schools use the information on the FAFSA® form to determine your eligibility for a Pell Grant, and if so, how much you’re eligible to receive. You will have to fill out the FAFSA form every year you’re in school in order to stay eligible for federal student aid, including Pell Grant awards.

It’s important to understand the cost of attendance at your school of choice so that you can understand how much aid you might need. The cost of attendance of a school program is the annual cost advertised by the school, before financial aid is applied. Tuition and fees, room and board (housing and meals), and other additional education-related expenses (both direct and indirect) are included and may vary based on personal choices. Once you know the cost of attendance, you can better plan how to cover your educational expenses.

How much money can I get?

Amounts can change yearly. The maximum Federal Pell Grant award is $6,895 for the 2022–23 award year (July 1, 2022, to June 30, 2023).

The amount you get, though, will depend on

  • the cost of attendance (determined by your school for your specific program),

  • your status as a full-time or part-time student, and

  • your plans to attend school for a full academic year or less.


In certain situations, an eligible student can receive up to 150 percent of his or her scheduled Pell Grant award for an award year.

For example, if you are eligible for a $2,000 Pell Grant for the award year and are enrolled full-time for both the fall term and spring term, you’ll likely receive $1,000 in the fall and $1,000 in the spring. However, under certain circumstances, you may be eligible to receive up to an additional $1,000 for attendance in an additional term within that award year (resulting in your receiving 150% of your original award). You might hear this situation being referred to as “year-round Pell.” For details, contact your school’s financial aid office.

How much am I eligible for if my parent died in Iraq, Afghanistan, or in the line of duty?

It depends. If your parent or guardian was

  • a member of the U.S. armed forces and died as a result of military service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11 or

  • a public safety officer and died as a result of active service in the line of duty, then

you may be eligible for additional Federal Pell Grant funds if, at the time of your parent’s or guardian’s death, you were

  • less than 24 years of age or

  • enrolled in college or career school at least part-time.


How will I get paid?

Your school can apply Federal Pell Grant funds to your school costs, pay you directly, or combine these methods.

Grants and Student Loans

Typically, the school first applies your grant or loan money toward your tuition, fees, and (if you live on campus) room and board. Any money left over is paid to you directly for other education expenses.

If you get your loan money, but then you realize that you don’t need the money after all, you may cancel all or part of your loan within 120 days of receiving it and no interest or fees will be charged.


Your school must pay you directly unless you request that the school

  • send your payments directly to your bank account or

  • use the money to pay for education-related charges (e.g., tuition, fees, room and board) on your student account.

Direct PLUS Loans for Parents

In most cases, your child’s school will give you your loan money by crediting it to your child’s school account to pay tuition, fees, room, board, and other authorized charges. If there is money left over, the school will pay it to you. In some cases, with your permission, the school may give the leftover money to your child.

Pell Grants Explained: What are Pell Grants?

What should I do to maintain the grant?

In general, you must maintain enrollment in an undergraduate course of study at a nonforeign school to receive a Federal Pell Grant. Additionally, you will have to fill out the FAFSA form every year you’re in school in order to stay eligible for federal student aid.

Once you have earned a baccalaureate degree or your first professional degree or have used up all 12 terms of your eligibility, you are no longer eligible to receive a Federal Pell Grant.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.