https // : Repay my debt to DWP

https // :

If you have received tax credit overpayments, you will be required to repay them. Your debt will be managed by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), which will contact you and discuss your repayment options, which may involve deductions from your salary or benefits, if applicable.

What is the purpose of contacting me by DWP Debt Management?


The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) Debt Management is in charge of reclaiming overpaid benefits. In addition to dealing with overpayments of tax credits, they may contact you in order to recover other government arrears, such as:

  • Loans from the Social Security Administration
  • Benefit advances for the short term
  • Benefits from the estates of those who have passed away that have been overpaid Connect Activate: How do I activate/connect 7plus

If you’ve been approached by DWP Debt Management regarding a tax credit overpayment and you’re concerned about being unable to make payments, we can assist you with your debt management. Please get in contact with us if you require free and impartial debt advice.

What is the formula for calculating tax credits?

Her Majesty’s Revenue & Customs (HMRC) examines your tax return at the end of the tax year to determine how much income you actually received during the year. If this amount was higher than they anticipated, you may have received an excessive amount of tax credits. As with other income tax arrears, you will be required to return this amount since the implications of failing to do so can be extremely significant. Continue reading to learn more about the reasons why some debts should be paid off first.

If your income changes, it’s crucial to notify HMRC as soon as possible so that they can alter your tax credit payment. This will assist you in avoiding an overpayment when your award is evaluated at the beginning of the following tax year. Call HMRC on 0345 300 3900 if you need to alert them of any changes.

IGNOU has Released the Tentative Date Sheet for December Term End Examination (TEE) 2021

What is the best way to make up for a tax credit overpayment?

When you receive a call from DWP Debt Management, they will explain that you must repay the overpayments; the method by which you repay will be determined by your individual circumstances.

As a result, if you are currently not eligible for tax credits or Universal Credit, you will be handed a ‘notice to pay,’ to which you will have 30 days to respond. You may have money deducted from your wages if you fail to make payments when you are supposed to.

If you are a Universal Credit recipient: Your benefit payments will be limited until you have paid back what you owe to the government.

If you are still receiving tax credits, here is what you should do: It is possible that your tax credit payments will be reduced until you have paid back what you owe.

The amount of your tax credit payments that are reduced is determined on your annual household income. If your annual income is less than £20,000 and you receive minimal tax credits, the amount of these credits will be decreased by 10%. In the event that your income is greater than £20,000, your tax can be lowered by a maximum of 50 percent.


The consequences of failing to reimburse overpaid tax credits are as follows:

If you do not repay the money you owe, the HMRC and the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) may take additional action to reclaim the money you owe. They may do any of the following:

  • Transfer the loan to a debt collection agency so that you can be contacted: Debt collectors are not bailiffs, and they do not have any additional authority.
  • Taking you to court is a possibility: If you don’t pay them, they might file a County Court judgement (CCJ) or decree against you in your absence.
  • Bailiffs (enforcement agents) will be dispatched to your residence: HMRC does not require a court order in order to dispatch bailiffs or Sheriff officials, however they rarely exercise this authority.

If you can’t afford to make payments contact DWP Debt Management

DWP Debt Management contact centre Telephone: 0800 916 0647 Textphone: 0800 916 0651 Calling from abroad: +44 (0)161 904 1233 Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm

How long do I have to pay a tax credit debt?

If you’ve been asked to pay back a tax credit overpayment and you can’t afford to do this within 30 days, you should let DWP Debt Management know when they contact you, or call HMRC on 0345 302 1429.

If you’ve been asked to pay HMRC directly, the time they’ll usually allow you to pay back the overpayment is either:

  • 12 months – they’ll usually allow you to pay in twelve monthly instalments without giving them any further information.
  • Up to 10 years – they’ll usually agree to this without asking for any further information, as long as you can pay more than £10 a month. If the amount you can afford is less than £10 per month, they may still agree to this if you can afford to pay the debt off in less than three years
  • Over 10 years – you’ll need to provide a budget and pay more than £10 a month. If it’ll take you a very long time to repay the debt, HMRC may consider writing off the debt after 10 years. We can help you put together a budget which shows your current financial situation

If you can’t afford £10 a month and it’ll take longer than three years to pay off the debt, HMRC may agree to put the debt on hold for 12 months. If your situation is the same a year later and you still can’t afford £10 a month, they may agree to write off the debt.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.