https //css.vec.virginia.gov/css Login: Claimant Self Service Logon
The Virginia Employment Commission’s Customer Self-Service (CSS) online portal is available for filing initial claims, reactivating existing claims, and filing weekly claims for unemployment benefits. If you are unable to use the online services, you can file a claim by calling 1-866-832-2363 (Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.).
Note: In order to continue to make improvements for our customers, the VEC has scheduled maintenance every Wednesday from 7:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. and every Sunday from 9 a.m. to noon when customers are not able to access self-service platforms. The end times are approximate.
Apply for Unemployment Benefit
Apply for Unemployment Benefits after you have been separated from your employer or had your hours reduced -preferably in the first week!
You should not attempt to file a Virginia claim if:
- Your last employer was a federal civilian employer in a state other than Virginia (you mustfile your claim against the state in which you last worked). The only exception is if you worked as a federal civilian overseas.
- Your employment within the last 18 months was performed in a state or states other than Virginia.
Please click here to view the “Out-of-State” employment agencies contact information.
You will need the following to apply for Unemployment Benefits
- Your Social Security Number
- The Name(s), Address(es), telephone number(s), and dates of employment within the last 18 months. (We recommend reviewing your most recent W2 or pay stub to obtain accurate employer information)
- If you have any out-of-state employers, you must also provide the mailing address, phone number and dates of employment
- If you obtain work through a local union hall, you will need the name and union number
- If you are NOT a US Citizen, you will need your Alien Registration number
- You will be asked to select a method of payment: VA Debit Card or Direct Deposit. If you select Direct Deposit you will need to have your bank Routing number and your Account number
Please gather all information before beginning your application. The application process takes approximately 45 minutes to complete. Please note: Incomplete Applications will not be processed.
The information you provide when filing your claim is kept confidential. This confidential Unemployment Compensation (UC) information may be requested and utilized for other governmental purposes, including, but not limited to, verification of eligibility for other governmental programs. The Virginia Employment Commission (VEC) will only contact you on matters that directly concern your unemployment insurance claim.
Apply Now Online:
Note: In order to provide you with improved service, our systems will be offline for scheduled maintenance every Wednesday from 7:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. and every Sunday from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. The end times are approximate.
- To apply for unemployment benefits using the Customer Contact Center, please call 1-866-832-2363 (toll free), 8:00 a.m. –5:00 p.m. Monday –Friday