How to Replace your Texas Driver License, Commercial Driver License or ID Card
If you need to obtain a replacement without changing any information on the front of the card, you may use the Online Card Replacement feature, provided you have the following information:
- Your driver license or identification card number,
- Your date of birth,
- The last four digits of your social security number, and
- The audit number from your most recently issued card.
If you do not have the audit number from your most recently issued card and you want to use the Online Card Replacement feature, additional verification information is required which includes:
- Your first and last name as it appears on your most recent DL or ID,
- Your address as it appears on your most recent DL or ID, and
- Answering four unique security questions.
If you are currently out of the state, please visit Out-of-State Renewal or Replacement for instructions on replacing your driver license or identification card.
If your card has been lost, stolen or destroyed, and you do not have the information listed above, you must visit your local driver license office to obtain a replacement.
To apply for a replacement driver license, commercial driver license, or ID card at your local driver license office, you must:
- Complete the application before arriving. (This form is also available at all driver license offices.)
- Make an appointment at your local driver license office.
- Provide the following documentation to the license and permit specialist:
- Application replacement, and
- Identity (Only one primary, secondary, or supporting document is required)
- If you have not previously provided the following documentation, you will also need to present:
- U.S. Citizenship or, if you are not a U.S. Citizen, evidence of lawful presence, and
- Social Security Number,
- Provide your thumbprint.
- Have your picture taken.
- Pay the application fee.
* The audit number may be found here on your driver license or identification card:
Report Stolen Cards
If your driver license or identification card has been stolen and used by someone else, you must file a police report. To replace your stolen card, follow the steps on replacing your card and bring a copy of your police report with you. The driver license office personnel will determine if it is necessary to issue a new number when reviewing your case.