How To Register Your Dog AKC : American Kennel Club Login and Register
COMPLETE YOUR LIFETIME REGISTRATION TODAY and access AKC’s Canine Care packages, which include essential resources and services available to you throughout every stage of your dog’s life.
- AKC Pet Insurance: 30 days of pet health insurance provides coverage for many common accidents, injuries and illnesses – no credit card or commitment required to activate*
- 24/7 Vet Helpline: Provides 24/7 access to licensed pet health professionals included with your 30 days of pet insurance at no additional cost*
- VetNET: FREE initial vet appointment at any provider in AKC’s Veterinary Network
- AKC Reunite: Help your dog get home safely with its custom collar tag and 24/7/365 protection
- AKC’s GoodDog! Training Helpline: Receive live support and advice from expert trainers available 7 days/week
Register Your Litter
Are you the proud owner of puppies born in the USA? Register your litter using this application if the puppies were born to an AKC-registered dam that was mated to an AKC-registered sire of the same dog breed.
You must register a litter before attempting to register individual puppies from that litter. Registration options vary depending on whether you own the sire (dad), the dam (mom), or both dogs.
Register Litter By Mail
Find out how to register a litter of puppies bred and whelped in the USA from an AKC-registered female and an AKC-registered male of the same breed.
See the requirements for registering a litter produced through artificial insemination using either fresh, fresh extended or frozen semen.
For a litter whelped in the US, but mated out of the US, use the Special Litter Application.
A litter is eligible for registration if:
- It is the result of a mating between an AKC-registered Sire (male) and an AKC-registered Dam (female) of the same breed.
- It is whelped (born) in the U.S.A, its possession or territories (Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Guam, and the Marianna Islands).
To register a litter, the litter owner should complete an an AKC Litter Registration Application . The application requires basic information such as the date of birth, number of males and females born, and the registered names and numbers of the sire and dam. The application must be signed by all of the owners and co-owners of the dam and by one owner of the sire. Failure to complete the application properly will result in processing delays.
The AKC requires that the owner of an AKC-registered dog maintain the following information on the dog:
- Registered name and number (or litter number if not registered)
- Sex, color and markings
- Date of birth
- Names and numbers of sire and dam
- Name of breeder
- Name and address of person from whom directly acquired
- Date of acquisition
- Date and duration of lease, if any
The Owner of a dog which is bred must record:
- Date and place of mating
- Names of persons handling mating
- Registered name and number of dog to which mated
- Name and address of its owner
The owner of a litter must record:
- Date of whelping
- Number of puppies whelped by sex and by color and markings
- Litter registration number
- Date of sale, gift or death of each puppy so described
- Name and address of person acquiring each puppy so described
- Kinds of papers and date supplied
- Registered name and number of each puppy registered by breeder
The AKC will register a litter that is produced through artificial insemination, provided that the following conditions are met.
For Fresh Semen
- Sire and dam must both be present during the extraction of semen and the insemination of the bitch.
- The breeder completes and submits an Application to Register a Litter Resulting from Using Fresh Semen with the proper fee.
For Fresh Extended Semen
- The breeder completes and submits an Application to Register a Litter Resulting from Using Fresh Extended Semen containing the certifications completed by the person(s) that performed the extraction and the insemination.
- Sire must be AKC DNA certified.
For Frozen Semen
- The collection of semen for the artificial breeding must have been reported to the AKC on the AKC Frozen Semen Collection Statement form. If the Semen was collected after October 1, 1998, the sire must be AKC DNA Profiled.
- The collector/storer must be familiar with and complying with the AKC regulations for record keeping and identification of dogs.
- The Application to Register a Litter Resulting from Using Frozen Semen must be submitted containing the certifications completed by the owner of the semen, the owner of the dam and the veterinarian who performed the artificial breeding, with the proper fee.
- All sire owners must sign the form transferring ownership of the frozen semen.