How to Activate Noise Cancellation on Airpods : If Active Noise Cancellation isn’t working
Follow these steps.
- Make sure that you have the latest software on your connected iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac.
- Put both AirPods Pro in your ears and check that Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) is turned on.
- Clean the mesh located on the top of your AirPods Pro. Sometimes Active Noise Cancellation can be affected if debris or earwax builds up in the area shown below.
If this happens, you might experience:
- A loss of bass sound
- An increase in background sounds, such as street or airplane noise
- If Active Noise Cancellation still isn’t working as expected, refer to AirPods Pro Service Program for Sound Issues.
Clean your AirPods Max
- Don’t run your AirPods Max under water.
- Use a soft, dry, lint-free cloth.
- If your AirPods Max are exposed to anything that may cause stains or other damage – for example, soaps, shampoos, conditioners, lotions, perfumes, solvents, detergent, acids or acidic foods, insect repellent, sun cream, oil or hair dye:
- Wipe them clean with a cloth slightly dampened with fresh water and dry with a soft, dry, lint-free cloth.
- Don’t attempt to use them until they’re completely dry.
- Make sure no liquid gets in the openings.
- Don’t use sharp objects or abrasive materials to clean your AirPods Max.
Clean the cushions and headband of your AirPods Max
- In a clean container, mix 1 tsp. (5 ml) of liquid laundry detergent into 1 cup (250 ml) of water.
- Remove the cushions from the ear cups.
- When you clean the headband, hold your AirPods Max upside down to prevent liquid from flowing into the headband attachment point.
- Dip a lint-free cloth into the soapy water solution, wring it out slightly and rub the cloth on the cushions and headband gently for 1 minute each.
- Wipe the cushions and headband clean with a separate cloth that’s slightly dampened with fresh water.
- Dry the cushions and headband with a soft, dry, lint-free cloth, making sure you remove any excess moisture.
- Lay your AirPods Max flat to dry for at least a day before you reattach the cushions and use them again.
Clean the case of your AirPods Max
Clean the Smart Case with a soft, dry, lint-free cloth. If necessary, you can slightly dampen the cloth with isopropyl alcohol. Allow the Smart Case to dry. Don’t use abrasive materials to clean the Smart Case.
AirPods Pro Service Program for Sound Issues
Apple has determined that a small percentage of AirPods Pro may experience sound issues. Affected units were manufactured before October 2020.
An affected AirPods Pro may exhibit one or more of the following behaviors:
- Crackling or static sounds that increase in loud environments, with exercise or while talking on the phone
- Active Noise Cancellation not working as expected, such as a loss of bass sound, or an increase in background sounds, such as street or airplane noise
Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider will service the affected AirPods Pro (left, right or both), free of charge.
Note: No other AirPods models are part of this program
Choose one of the service options below to have your AirPods Pro serviced. Your AirPods Pro will be examined prior to any service to verify that they are eligible for this program. AirPods Pro (left, right or both) with a confirmed issue will be replaced. The AirPods Pro case is not affected and will not be replaced.
- Find an Apple Authorized Service Provider.
- Make an appointment at an Apple Retail Store.
- Contact Apple Support.