Discord Stuck on Checking for Updates: Discord Stuck on the Main Connecting Screen
If you’re stuck on the connecting screen, there’s a few things you should try to help!
- Double check to make sure your date/time are set automatically
- Scan your computer using Malwarebytes
- Clear threats, restart PC, relaunch Discord
- Ensure your firewall settings are allowing Discord to connect
- Go to your proxy settings, and ensure that no proxies are enabled
- Windows: Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Internet Options -> Connections -> Lan Settings – Uncheck “Use a Proxy”
- Mac: System Preferences -> Network -> Advanced -> Proxies – Make sure you have no Proxies enabled
If you’re still having trouble connecting, press Ctrl+Shift+I (⌥+⌘+I on Mac) and check your console for errors.
Voice Connection Errors
If you’re unable to reach our voice servers, you may find yourself sitting and staring at an error state instead of talking to your friends like you planned. Here are a few quick tips to try and solve these issues!
There are a few different errors you’ll see if you’re failing to connect to voice, and they can be grouped into two categories based on their causes: something on your end, or something on our end.
TYPES OF ERRORS
These errors generally mean there’s something interfering with the connection on your end — like a firewall or possibly a VPN.
- ICE Checking
- No Route
- RTC Connecting
LET’S GET CONNECTED
Here are the steps we recommend to resolve the above errors:
- Restart your Modem+Router+Computer – You’d be surprised how often the “turn it off and turn it back on again” trick works.
- Check with your internet service provider and make sure there are no outages in your area.
- Check your Firewall/Antivirus and make sure that Discord is whitelisted/temporarily disabled
- Check your VPN (Discord only works on VPNs that have UDP)
- Check with your network admin – If you’re on a work/school network, Discord could be blocked!
- Change the voice region – If you’re the admin, temporarily switch to try a different voice region in Voice Channel Settings > Overview > Region Override.
– You’re also able to change a voice region in private voice calls
If all of that doesn’t work, we’ll need you to contact support team. When you do, you need to provide a screenshot of your console logs. Here is how to get that screenshot:
- Download Discord’s PTB client or Canary client.
- Join the voice channel or voice call you’re getting an error in.
- Press Ctrl+Shift+i for Windows or ⌥+⌘+I for MacOS to bring up your Developer Tools, and then click the Console tab.
- Take a screenshot of the entire page and make sure to include any error messages in the image.
ERRORS FROM OUR SIDE
- Awaiting Endpoint: This will show up in rare cases, so you shouldn’t see this occurring unless we’re having trouble with one of our servers. If you’re stuck here, it means there are generally broad service issues that can cause calls to be stuck in this perma-waiting room.
Images Not Loading and Other Connection Errors
INITIAL TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS
As a first step, please try changing your DNS provider!
DNS issues are the most common cause for images being broken and other connection troubles, and changing your DNS provider can potentially lead to faster and safer browsing!
If you’re in the UK and your internet service provider is BT, the folks at British Telecom have confirmed that their DNS service is blocking images and other parts of our service for some users. BT has recommended that impacted users change their DNS provider.
If changing your DNS provider doesn’t do the trick, and your internet service provider is Xfinity, we’ve become aware that Xfinity has blocked our image delivery services for users with xFi Routers who have Private Browsing enabled.
We are working with Comcast to find a solution to this issue. In the meantime, we would recommend contacting Xfinity Support for additional help! https://www.xfinity.com/support/
ALL REGIONS AND ISPS
If a DNS provider swap didn’t do the trick, we’re aware that some antivirus and security providers, such as Norton Family and Lookout, have blocked our services in the past.