The EDD issues benefit payments for Disability Insurance, Paid Family Leave, and Unemployment Insurance claims using a visa debit card. This prepaid debit card is a fast, convenient, and secure way to get your benefit payments and is not subject to a credit check or monitoring by the EDD.
Your card is valid for three years from the date it is issued and is used for all EDD benefit programs, so you should keep it until it expires.
Debit Card Benefits
- Get your money sooner.
- Use it everywhere VISA is accepted (in stores, online, and by phone).
- Withdraw cash at ATMs, banks, and stores with cash back options.
- Transfer funds to the financial institution of your choice at no additional cost.
- Be notified when a deposit is made to your card, or when you have a low balance.
- Receive fraud protection from a Zero Liability Policy.
Delivery and Activation
It takes at least three weeks to process a claim for unemployment benefits and issue payment to most eligible workers.
- Visit www.bankofamerica.com/activate or Sign In Mobile App to activate BofA card.
- Enter ONLINE ID and PASSCODE to Sign in to BofA online banking.
- Locate the option available for MENU there.
- Scroll down and choose option MANAGE DEBIT | CREDIT CARD.
- Enter required credit or debit card details and personal information.
- Agree with the BofA Debit Card Services Terms & Conditions and the debit card will be activated sooner and you will be able to use it further.
If you have never had a debit card from the EDD before, and your first benefit payment has been approved, Bank of America will put the card into the mail the next business day.
To activate a new card, use one of the following methods:
- Online – Visit the Bank of America debit card website and select Activate My Card.
- By phone – If you are calling from within the United States, call 1-866-692-9374 or 1-866-656-5913 (TTY). If you are calling from outside of the United States, call collect at 1-423-262-1650.
Your card is valid for three years from the date it is issued and is used for all EDD benefit programs. You will not have to wait for a new card. We will continue to load funds on your existing card and you will have immediate access to them.
If you lost your debit card, you must request a replacement card early in the application process before your first payment. Call Bank of America at 1-866-692-9374 (TTY: 1-866-656-5913) and choose the Lost or Stolen option in the automated menu. You do not need to have your old card number or speak to a representative. Your new card will arrive 7 to 10 business days from the order date.
Note: Bank of America representatives cannot answer questions about your claim or pending payments.
Card Activity within the Last 90 Days
If your card has expired and there was activity on it within the last 90 days, or if there is a balance of $20 or more, Bank of America will automatically mail you a new card before your card expires.
No Card Activity within the Last 90 Days
If you did not have any activity on the card within the last 90 days, or if you have a balance of less than $20, contact Bank of America debit card customer service to access your funds.
You can reset your PIN by logging into your account on Bank of America’s website. Go to My Settings, select My PIN, then select Forgot PIN.