Activities for Kids to Do During Earth Hour on March 26, 2022
This year, Earth Hour will take place on Saturday, March 26, 2022, between 8:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. in your time zone. The annual event encourages individuals, families, and businesses to turn off non-essential lights for one hour as a symbol of their commitment to the environment.
Take advantage of the opportunity to talk to your children about the global significance of Earth Hour as you unplug for Earth Hour. Provide some enjoyable activities to try during your one hour in the dark.
Everyone has the ability to make a difference, so get your children involved! There are no lights? They’ll think it’s fantastic!
Top Activities for Kids to Do During Earth Hour
1. Gather a flashlight and some blankets in the living room and tell stories. Whether true or false, these stories in cozy settings are sure to entertain the kids.
2. Play board games under the light of a candle. Take care with the candles!
3. Have some fun with flashlight tag or hide and seek in the dark.
4. Go for a walk. Take an evening stroll with your kids and the dog to enjoy the night sounds and scenes of your neighborhood.
5. Create shadow puppets on a white wall.
6. Go on a nighttime picnic. Make your food ahead of time and spread a blanket in the living room.
7. Observe the stars. It’s the ideal evening for grabbing a telescope or binoculars and heading out to see the stars.
8. If the weather permits, set up a campfire in your backyard and roast marshmallows on the grill to make s’mores! If not, make a camp in your living room. Set up a tent and gather your sleeping bags.
9. Go to a park or playground in your neighborhood for some nighttime fun.
10. Tell scary stories in the dark.
20 Ways you can take part from home
- Switch off your lights
- Join us virtually and tune in online to one of our live Earth Hour streams
- Have a night of board games or book readings in candle-light
- Themed movie night
- Make an impact in only 60 seconds – sign our Voice for the Planet petition
- Camp in your backyard or living room
- Take a Class is in session
- A game of wildlife related Heads up!
- Practice some night-photography or try out “light-painting”
- Up your sustainability knowledge and know-how
- Create your own mini-golf course using household objects
- Create your own Rube Goldberg machine
- Challenge your artistic side with a candle-lit paint night
- Write a letter to your future eco-warrior self
- Eco-friendly fashion show
- Dance the night away or hold a silent disco
- Acoustic jam session
- Try animal-inspired Yoga at Home